HISTORY

Since nineteen-nineteen: Passion for steel.

The founding of a trading company for iron and steel goods in Hagen (Westphalia) in 1919 marked the birth of the Westfälische Stahlgesellschaft group of companies. Since then, our company, which is managed by various generations of the Krummenerl and Schaumann families, has been on a continuous growth path. The first milestones in our successful development were the relocation of the company headquarters to Plettenberg in the Sauerland region of Germany in the post-war years and, in particular, the construction of our own bright steel production facility there – the Plettenberg drawing mill.

Since the early 1960s, our trading activities in southern Germany, eastern Westphalia and northern Germany have reflected a significant expansion of our business operations. Especially in recent years, extensive and targeted investments in the capacities of all sites have been further important steps towards increasing our efficiency and thus the satisfaction of our customers. Irrespective of the fact that we will continue consistently pursuing the path we have taken in the future as well, we can now look with some pride at the current balance sheet: annual steel sales of 250,000 – 300,000 tonnes, storage capacities of around 60,000 tonnes of rolled and bright steel, and around 350 employees, some of whom have been with the company for decades, making this success story possible.

 

 

1919

Foundation of the trading company Westfälische Stahlgesellschaft in Hagen

1939

Expansion of the sales range (trade with all steel and iron products)

1945

Destruction of the company site in Hagen in an air raid

1948

Acquisition of a new company site with office building in Plettenberg

1953

Foundation of the Plettenberg drawing mill

1961

Foundation of the Westfälische Stahlgesellschaft trading company in Bünde (East Westphalia)

1962

Foundation of the Weser Stahl trading company in Lesum (Bremen)

1971

Relocation of Westfälische Stahlgesellschaft from Bünde to Löhne (East Westphalia)

1983

Relocation of Weser Stahl from Lesum (Bremen) to Stuhr-Brinkum (near Bremen)

2008

Significant expansion of logistics capacities at the Löhne and Stuhr-Brinkum sites (construction of various new warehouses)

2012

Commissioning of a fully automated bright steel center at the Plettenberg drawing mill

2017

Commissioning of a fully automated high-bay warehouse in Plettenberg, Germany

2018

Commissioning of a fully automated high-bay warehouse in Löhne, Germany

2019

100th anniversary of the company